- City Guide - Burlington
Burlington has a population of 175,779 (census 2011), and located in Halton Region at the western end of Lake Ontario. Burlington is part of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), and is included in the Hamilton Census Metropolitan Area.
According to the 2011 census, Burlington's population was 175,779 - 48% of that census were male and the other 52% were female. Minors made up 24.5% of the population, and seniors (age 65+) numbered 15.4%. Given that the senior population is much higher than the national average Burlingston’s average age is 40.3 - which was higher than the Canadian average.
Economically, Burlington is strategically located near the geographic centre of the Golden Horseshoe, a densely populated and industrialized region home to over 8 million people. Burlington's economic strength is achieved because of its geography, proximity to large industries, its location within the GTA and its transportation infrastructure. The city has great potential for future growth - it is driven by both the automotive and manufacturing sectors. Burlington has always been a destination with a high quality of life, and was recently named the 2nd best city in Canada to live in.
Burlington is the proud home to the Royal Botanical Gardens, which has the world’s largest lilac collection. Ontario's botanical garden and National Historic Site of Canada features over 2,700 acres of gardens and nature sanctuaries. There are 115 parks and within the city, some of the more popular being Lasalle Park and Spencer Smith Park – which boasts a newly renovated observatory, outdoor pond, water play area and restaurant.